Job title: Communications Officer
Responsible to: Director of Fundraising & Communications
Salary: £24,000 per annum
Benefits: 33 paid holiday days per year, plus employer contribution to pension
Contract: Full-time (35 hours a week)
Located: Barclay House, Level 3, 37 Queen Square, London WC1N 3BH
Purpose of the role:
We are the national charity working to improve the lives of patients and families affected by all types of genetic conditions. We are an alliance of over 190 patient organisations.
Our aim is to ensure that high-quality services, information and support are provided to all who need them. We actively support research and innovation across the field of genetic medicine.
You will support Genetic Alliance UK’s communication activity and work cross-departmentally to provide creative and operational support. Your responsibility will be to ensure that policy, research, support and fundraising and engagement activities are communicated accessibly across a range of channels to suit different audiences in an engaging manner.
- Developing, producing and delivering effective content and campaigns for Genetic Alliance UK’s digital channels, including its website, social media platforms and e-communications.
- Communicating with Genetic Alliance UK’s members, patients and other stakeholders effectively about our work.
- Summarising reports and policy documents, identifying critical information and preparing briefings for various audiences.
- Support the press work of the organisation in planning, writing press releases and monitoring press coverage.
- Designing on-brand digital content to support the work of the policy team and engagement projects.
- Measuring the impact of the organisation’s social media presence and campaigns and provide statistical/insights reporting.
- Coordinating new and innovative website and social media content including blogs/vlogs and conversation generating content.
- Providing written and on occasion oral presentations for internal and external audiences and providing high quality written copy for internal and external publications.
- Responding to inquiries from individuals, patients, clinicians and other healthcare policy stakeholders.
- Collaborating on the dissemination of Genetic Alliance UK’s work through both traditional and online channels.
- Attending relevant meetings/conferences and representing the organisation.
- Remaining up to date with digital trends, new channels and opportunities to grow audiences.
- Undertaking other reasonable tasks required by Genetic Alliance UK when needed.
- Developing and maintaining good relationships with journalists.
Education and qualifications
- Graduate or equivalent experience.
- Good level of IT literacy.
Essential qualities, skills and experience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to write clear and logical documents.
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently.
- A can-do attitude to work, with enthusiasm and creativity.
- Attention to detail to all aspects of work.
- A logical and organised approach to work.
- Ability to meet agreed deadlines, prioritise workload and maximise the use of time.
- Ability to adapt writing style for a range of audiences.
- Interest in healthcare policy.
- A track record of delivering successful digital communications.
- Experience of communications work.
- A commitment to the aims and objectives of Genetic Alliance UK.
Desirable qualities, skills and experience
- Experience of the voluntary and/or health sector communications.
- Appreciation of current issues in genetics and health care and their impact on patients and families.
- Interest and knowledge of political environment in the UK.
- Photography, video and design skills.
- To be able to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Willing to undertake occasional travel in the UK and Europe.
Please email your CV and an accompanying cover letter that explains how you meet the person specification to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘Communications Officer.’
12 noon, Tuesday 25 July 2017.
You can download this job description here.